With tastes of the weather getting warmer and brighter, we can start to prepare for the summer months. Whether you are completing a self-build or renovation, including a hot tub, swim spa or even a new swimming pool in your project plan will certainly add to making the most of enjoying your new home.
Swimming and other water-related activities are an easy and fun way for families to spend time together and is also a great way to encourage children to be sporty and fit from a young age. Adding something as eye catching as a swimming pool or hot tub can create a holiday feel to the garden as well as a relaxing environment for entertaining. Best of all, they can be tailored to suit your house and garden design, and to fit every budget.
The Swimming Pool and Allied Trades Association (SPATA) and The British and Irish Spa and Hot Tub Association (BISHTA) are the respective associations for swimming pools and hot tubs which encourage these contractors and suppliers to meet industry standards and to make usage safe. Here are their top tips for buying a hot tub and/or swimming pool:
• Always choose a SPATA or BISHTA member so that you can be assured that your purchase will be built to industry standards.
• Be sure you know what you want to use the equipment for, as this will determine what to buy. If you just want to relax in some hot water then a hot tub may be best, but if you want to swim, then either a swim spa or swimming pool will be better.
• Set a budget, but be prepared to be flexible if you find something that meets all your needs but is slightly more than you had hoped for.
• Ensure the contractor/supplier can show other examples of the type of hot tub or pool that you want. Ask past clients for their feedback on the contractors’ professionalism and ability to hit agreed deadlines.
• Find out if there are any Local Authority consents required for the design you choose, such as planning or building regulations.
• Ask who will be responsible for after-sales maintenance and service, as well as checking the warranties on the products.
• Find out what method of water treatment is proposed.
You want your pool to be as comfortable and attractive as possible, and there is an enormous selection of enhancements and labour-saving devices available on the market. These range from underwater lighting, automatic water top-up, counter current machines and automatic cleaners to diving boards, slides, special deck finishes and poolside furniture. Research what is available and choose the accessories and extras that suit your lifestyle to help you make best use of your investment.
A well planned and installed pool, swim spa or hot tub will give years of pleasure to you, your family and friends and bring great health and enjoyment. For further information, check out the SPATA and BISHA websites, which have loads of useful information about the different kinds of products available on the market.